Vivekachudamani 31

This body specifically was given to utilize in devotional life,

moksa karana samagryam bhaktireva gariyasi |
sva svarupanusandhanam bhaktirityabhidhiyate ||
(Sankaracarya's Vivekachudamani 31)

Among the means and conditions necessary for liberation, devotion (bhakti) alone is supreme. A constant contemplation of one‘s own Real Nature is called devotion.

Our body is a machine. This machine has been given by the Lord to us because we desired that. "If I get a machine like a human body, then I can enjoy the material world."

yantrārūḍhāni māyayā (BG 18.61)

So the Lord fulfills your desire: "All right." And if I think, "If I get a machine in which I can directly suck the blood of another animal," "All right," Supreme Lord says, "you take the machine of a tiger's body and use it." So this is going on. Therefore His name is Hṛṣīkeśa. And when we understand properly that "I am not the proprietor of this body. Hṛṣīkeśa is the proprietor of the body. I wanted a certain type of body to use it for my sense of gratification. He has given it and I am not happy. Therefore I shall learn how to use this machine for the proprietor," this is called bhakti. Hṛṣīkeṇa hṛṣīkeśa-sevanaṁ bhaktir ucyate (CC Madhya 19.170). Because Lord Hṛṣīkeśa or Krishna is the proprietor of the senses—He is the proprietor of this body—so when this body will be utilized for Hṛṣīkeśa's service, that is our perfection of life.

This body specifically was given to utilize in devotional life, so that when the spirit soul renders service unto the Supreme, there are two side effects. One is freed from all material designations, and one's senses are purified simply by being employed in the service of the Lord.'

But we are simply wasting our lifetime without serving the Supreme Lord. Material life will not give any happiness. We should simply give up developing material life and develop devotional life which can lead us to the path of liberation. In the verse above Sripad Sankaracarya explained to us clearly. Time for us to think am I the lover of maya(illusion) or lover of Hṛṣīkeśa? The answer should be awakened from our hearts.

Comments

Popular Posts