Tirupathi Sri Venketeswara Story and Mahatyam Part 12

Sri Hari curses Chola King

one day the wife of Chola King called the cowherd and angrily said "you have not even for a single day brought the milk of the new cow. Is the cow not milking at all or have you been gulping all the got from her or making money out of it. Come out with the truth."

The cowherd said, "Madam, I am quite innocent, I do not know anything. Every evening, soon after driving the cattle back home, I do try to milk this cow also, as I do with others. To my surprise I find it's breast always dry. I do not understand the miracle behind".

The queen got wild and said "How could anyone believe this? Will any cow with a tender calf go dry?I don't believe your words. Tomorrow, if you do not bring its milk, you will be punished? she says.The cowherd trembles in fear. He prostrates before her
and goes away.

The next morning when he takes the cattle for grazing, the cowherd has a special eye on this cow. After reaching Venkatachalam, he finds this particular cow going astray. He silently follows. As usual the cow nears the valmIka and begin raining milk from its opening. The cowherd's anger crosses all bounds. He immediately takes an axe and tries to hurt the cow.

Sri Hari sees that the cow, which all these days feeding Him, is going to face the fierce full blow from the cow-herd's axe. He immediately comes out of the ValmIka and tries to save the cow. And in that attempt bore that blow on His own head. His head
begins to bleed heavily which swoons the cowherd. He becomes unconscious. The blood that oozed out from Sri Hari's head spread on the cow also.

The divine cow moved from that place and reached the palace of the king. It lowed loudly to get the attention of the king. Hearing the roar like sound of the cow, and it is thumping its leg on the ground as if asking the king to follow her. The king also observes blood stains on the cow. He, therefore along with his army follows the cow, which is quickly marching towards Venkatachalam. It stopped where the cowherd fell unconscious.

The Chola king hears sighing sound from nearby and orders his soldiers to search from where it is coming. They found SrIman Narayana in a pool of blood. The king asks SrI Hari to reveal Himself and also very sorry for what happened with Him. SrI Hari opens His eyes and in a angry mood He reveals His original
identity and cursed him to become a ghost for having a cowherd who can kill a cow. Protection of cows, brahmins is the highest duty of a king. Having violated such basic rule, Lord's curse immediately makes him a ghost.

The king repents for his mistake and prays to Hari in a humble voice, "Narayana! Had I known you were here, I would have personally come to serve you. I am innocent, I never ordered the cowherd to wound anybody. I beg of you my Lord, please withdraw your curse on me".

SrI Hari says that the king is responsible for the sins committed by his subjects and His curse cannot be withdrawn. However the Lord promised the king that he will take birth again in the same family by the name Akasaraju, and Lord will marry his daughter. "you will also present me with a ruby studded crown, which I
will wear on Fridays", Lord continues.

The cowherd by now regains his consciousness and prostrates before Sri Hari to ask for His pardon. Sri Hari pities him and says, "Dear lad, do not worry, all your sins are destroyed by My vision. You are the first person to see me after I came to bhuloka.
Therefore, even in my temple, people belonging to your dynasty will have My first darshan. Your purpose of life has been fulfilled and your name will be remembered eternally. You can go now fearlessly.This is the inconceivable grace of the Lord.

As per this commandment of the Lord, even today immediately after opening the temple of Sri Venkateswara, a cowherd will get the first darshan. It is only after this, other programs are carried out in the temple.

Comments

Popular Posts