Sultan Firuz Shah Tughlaq

a. Prayers of Temple-destroyers in this Book

"The next matter which by God's help I accomplished was the repetition of names and titles of former sovereigns which had been omitted from the prayers of Sabbaths and Feasts. The names of those sovereigns of Islam, under whose happy fortune and favor infidel countries had been conquered, whose banners had waved over many a land, under whom idol temples had been demolished, and mosques and pulpits built and exalted..."

Delhi and Environs

"The Hindus and idol-worshippers had agreed to pay the money for toleration (zar-i zimmiya) and had consented to the poll-tax(jiziya) in return for which they and their families enjoyed security. These people now erected new idol temples in the city and the environs in opposition to the law of the Prophet which declares that such temples are not to be tolerated. Under divine guidance, I destroyed these edifices and I killed those leaders of infidelity who seduced others into error, and the lower orders I subjected to stripes and chastisement until this abuse was entirely abolished. The following is an instance: In the village of Maluh, there is a tank that they call Kund (tank). Here they had built idol temples and on certain days the Hindus were accustomed to proceeding thither on horseback and wearing arms. Their women and children also went out in palanquins and carts. Then they assembled in thousands and performed idol worship. ...when intelligence of this came to my ears my religious feelings prompted me at once to put a stop to this scandal and offense to the religion of Islam. On the day of the assembly, I went there in person and I ordered that the leaders of these people and the promoters of these abominations should be put to death. I destroyed their idol temples and instead thereof raised mosques."

Gohana (Haryana)

"Some Hindus had erected a new idol temple in the village of Kohana and the idolators used to assemble there and perform their idolatrous rites. These people were seized and brought before me. I ordered that the perverse conduct of the leaders of this wickedness should be publicly proclaimed, and that they should be put to death before the gate of the palace. I also ordered that the infidel books, the idols and the vessels used in their worship, which had been taken with idols, should all be publicly burnt. The others were restrained by threats and punishments, as a warning to all men, that no zimmi could follow such wicked practices in a Muslaman country."

Comments

Popular Posts